Tuesday 31 December 2013

The Evening's Empire - Tracks of the Year

So, there goes 2013. I hope that you all had a great year, and if not, fuck it, it's gone now so we can head into 2014 with the same optimism which we start every year with (before inevitably letting the inner Brit in us take hold once more to heap a healthy dose of cynicism into day-to-day life).

2013 for me has been a year which has seen me getting more involved in music blogging and the industry in general. This has meant that - not only have I had less sleep this year than any other in living memory - but I've also had the immeasurable privilege of being exposed to more music than I can rightfully consume. The below are some of the stand out tracks from the past twelve months..... I hope you find something new to love:

30. Dan Casey - Empty City

29. Fyfe – Solace

28. Everything Everthing – Undrowned

27. Denai Moore – Gone

26. Dan Croll - Compliment My Soul  
25. Seasfire – Falling  
24. Caitlin Rose – Old Number  
23. Story Books – Simple Kids



22. Rhodes – Raise Your Love



21. Marika Hackman – Cinnamon  
20. Mononoke – Alice  
19. Farewell JR – Night Wolves  
18. Okkervil River – It Was My Season  
17. Fossil Collective – Let It Go  
16. The Superman Revenge Squad – Lately I’ve Found Myself Regressing  
15. The National - Sea Of Love


14. Phosphorescent - Song For Zula  
13. London Grammar – Strong  
12. Frank Turner - Plain Sailing Weather  
11. Keaton Henson - Lying To You  
10. Frightened Rabbit – The Woodpile  
9. Laura Marling – Once  
8. Night Beds – Tenn



7. MONEY - Hold Me Forever  
6. Chvrches - Mother We Share  
5. Nathaniel Rateliff - Don't Get Too Close  
4. Volcano Choir – Byegone  
3. Daughter – Youth  
2. Phoria – Red  
1. Sivu - Better Man Than He 
My undisputed TOTY. I first heard 'Better Man Than He' back in January on the John Kennedy XFM show, and 11 months later it's still on heavy rotation. The hugely talented Sivu released several EP's across the year which showcased his unbelievable songwriting talent and left-field pop styings. With a full-length album due for release early in 2014, he's one of the year's most promising artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment